Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Trust me

My son Calvin is rapidly approaching the age of 4. And he already knows too much.

Over the weekend we were trying to get him to head to the shower and start getting ready for bed. He was not so excited about that plan and stalled.

I thought I had it all figured out. I had a trick up my sleeve. Earlier, I had bought him a special book for Valentine's day that had dinosaurs in it and everything. He loves dinos and I was willing to use it to help the situation.

 So I stepped up to the doorway and prepared to make my pitch. "Calvin," I said. "If you're good and listen to your mommy, I have a special book I will read to you at bedtime."

His answer? Joy? Jubilation?

Nope.

Show Me. My son's response was Show Me. I had to actually go get the book and bring it to him before he'd believe it even existed.

It was the father and son equivalent of the "Throw me the whip" - "Throw me the idol" scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Just for the record, it worked. After the book was confirmed, the rest of the evening went well and we all enjoyed a lovely bedtime story. Glasnost prevailed.

1 comment:

Martin Willoughby said...

Just wait till that doesn't work. Then the 'fun' begins and you find out what kind of parent you really are.